Thursday 3 June 2010

Not such a bargainess (is that a word) Trip to Waitrose

Having collected a £10 off Waitrose voucher from The Telegraph this Saturday I set off today to spend my £60. I actually spend £96, which is surprising easy to do in Waitrose, everything looks so lovely and is lovely in fact. I use Waitrose to top up my shops at Aldi and Lidl which can't always supply everything I need. Very annoyingly they don't sell pulses, baking powder or good fresh bread. Even so you save so much money that a trip to another supermarket every so often isn't that bad. Waitrose do have some very good offers at the moment, 3 for £10 on a great selection of meat. Waitrose meat is farm assured and does taste much better. They also always have minced pork on offer which has so many uses from burgers (flavoured with fennel seeds, black pepper and chill), meat balls, great pies that I will add the recipe for soon because they are the best. It also cooks in a lot short time than beef mince. This recipe is a great one for a quick pasta sauce without the time taken to fry the onion only garlic is added because both garlic and onion make pork a little bit too sweet:

Spicy Pork Pasta Sauce
400g minced pork
500g of sieved tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic crushed
Dried chill to taste
Chicken stock cube (Knorr do have to know how when it come to stock cubes so try and use them)
Oil

Heat a frying pan or sauce pan with 1 tablespoon of oil (your choice of which olive but good olive oil is a wast because all the flavour disappears when it is heated). When the oil is really hot add the minced pork, stirring to break up any lumps. When the pork has some colour and looks cooked through add the crushed garlic and chill and cook for 2 minutes until rawness has gone from the garlic then add the stock cube and tomato. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. You can then start to cook the pasta and when it is cooked your sauce should be ready to go. You can cook it for longer if you have time. It will only improve. The best shape pasta to serve with this is penne, not something I would normally go for (from my mother I think who acts like you are serving her poison). I do have a picture of this so I will dig it out and post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment